States are required to administer written State complaint procedures that align with the federal requirements under IDEA.
To assist States with meeting the requirements under IDEA, several resources have been curated or developed. These resources are not intended to interpret, modify, or replace any procedural safeguards or requirements of federal or state law.
Featured CADRE Resources
State Administrative Complaints
This manual includes information on the requirements for the State administration of complaints under Part B of IDEA along with OSEP implementation guidance. Linked citations and other helpful resources, such as OSEP memos and letters are included. CADRE also offers some coaching questions and system improvement strategies for consideration.
Customizable Word Document
(Please remove CADRE and OSEP logos if customizing and indicate that customized manual was modified from State Administrative Complaints, CADRE 2021)
Customizable Slide Deck
This customizable slide deck based on the 2013 OSEP Dispute Resolution Q&A offers States an overview of written state complaints along with some guidance from OSEP. This slide deck can be customized to align with State law and better meet the needs of your audience.
IDEA WSC Slide Deck 9-5-2021 FINAL Accessible.pptx
Webinars & Publications
- Beyond Mediation and Facilitation: Exploring Early Resolution Options (CADRE archived webinar)
- A Split in the Road: Issues, Outcomes, and Remedies Between and Within State Complaint and Hearing Officer Decisions (CADRE archived webinar)
- Constructive Individual and Systemic Approaches to Helping Frequent Filers (CADRE archived webinar)
Improving Your State’s Written State Complaint System
There is considerable flexibility as to how States administer complaints under IDEA. CADRE encourages States to assess their dispute resolution systems and processes, plan for improvement, and attend to the critical management functions of effective DR systems and processes by utilizing the information and tools found on CADRE’s Improving Your System online resource.
To ensure alignment of procedures and products with federal regulations, use OSEP’s Dispute Resolution Self-Assessment tool.
For State examples, visit CADRE’s Main Library and use the filter to refine your search or post a query to the listserv to request the most updated resources from your peers.
- IDEA Part B Dispute Resolution Regulations
- OSEP State Complaint Procedural Safeguards (2006)
- Questions and Answers on IDEA Part B Dispute Resolution Procedures (2013)