The implementation of the Informal Complaint/Early Resolution Process (ERP) draws on the traditional model of parents and school districts working cooperatively in the educational interest of children to achieve their shared goals of meeting the educational needs of students with disabilities. The ERP is a systematic, local level process for the prompt and orderly resolution of complaints and is required under Louisiana Bulletin 1706, Regulations for Implementation of the Children with Exceptionalities Act, Subchapter J (State Complaint Procedures), §151.C. Informal Complaints.
All LEAs, including charters, must establish an internal ERP to include:
- designation of a local (LEA) ERP representative and notice of the name, address, telephone number and other contact information
- management of an informal complaint within 15 calendar days of the LEA receiving the complaint, or an extended period agreed upon by the parties in writing
- advising the parent of the availability of other dispute resolution processes available through the LDOE if a resolution cannot be agreed upon
Informal complaints may be made to the Louisiana Deparment of Education (LDE) or directly to the school district. Informal complaints made to the LDE shall only be made through the LDE's Intake Coordinator(s) who shall refer the complaint to the ERP representative of the school district immediately, if possible, but not later than two calendar days after receiving the complaint.
Training and Performance
LDOE ERP Intake Coordinators’ role is to:
- receive concerns/inquiries from parents
- document information in a neutral and confidential manner
- relay informal complaints to the LEAs
- provide parents with contact information for the LEA ERP representative
- Establish written procedures for in-taking and documenting ERP results.
- Ensure that all appropriate LEA staff understand the ERP process/procedures and their role in assuring the timelines are met.
- Keep the LDOE informed of the current contact information for the LEA ERP Intake Coordinator.