An FIEP is an option available at the request of schools and parents for conflict prevention and resolution. This service is provided at no cost to parents or schools. A trained impartial professional (facilitator) helps the case conference committee with the IEP process.
- Keeps the meeting focused on the student;
- Ensures everyone at the table has a voice;
- Encourages active listening by all participants;
- Helps to keep team members on task and within the time allotted for the meeting;
- Maintains impartiality and does not take sides, place blame or determine if a particular decision is right or wrong; and
- Is not a committee member and does not impose a decision on the group.
When FIEP Might be Needed:
A parent or school might consider requesting an FIEP when:
- The case conference committee is spending more time trying to resolve conflicts than working on activities that promote student achievement and
- Multiple case conferences have been convened with little or no resolution;
- One or more case conference committee members believes their voice is not being heard;
- There is a lot of new information to be processed or the student’s situation is particularly complex;
- Team members would like to create better understanding;
- Team members want help staying focused on the IEP process; or
- There is a particular disagreement that the team wants to make progress on.
What Happens Next?
- An intake coordinator will contact the requestor by phone.
- If approved, it will be assigned to a trained facilitator.
- The facilitator will contact both the school and the parent.
- The facilitator will attend/facilitate your scheduled IEP meeting.
- The facilitator will gather feedback on the FIEP process from the parent and school staff.
- Download the request form or call the IEPRC office at (317) 757-8297 to have the form sent to you.
- Complete the form, with signatures from both the parent and the school
- Submit the form via fax (317-672-2839) or by mailing to: FIEP Services
Indiana IEP Resource Center
7916 Zionsville Road
Indianapolis, IN 46268