The OSSE Student Hearing Office is managing this process.
The OSSE is offering schools and parents an opportunity to benefit from the expertise of a skilled facilitator to participate in the meeting to help the parties discuss their positions in a more meaningful way. The presence of a neutral facilitator at the resolution session may produce a more effective discussion and successful outcome.
There are numerous benefits to the utilization of a facilitator during the resolution meeting. The benefits include:
- The student remains the focus of the discussions, and those who know the student best make all decisions rather than a hearing offier.
- Both school personnel and the parent are afforded an opportunity to fully and meaningfully participate in the discussions in a non-confrontational environment.
- Promotes consensus building and open communication, possibly allowing school district personnel and the parent to independently resolve any disputes or disagreements should they arise in the future.
- The school and the parent are spared considerable expense associated with litigation.
- Should a hearing be necessary, the parties would have had an opportunity to have narrowed down and clarified the points of agreement and disagreement, which can lead to a more focused, effective and efficient due process hearing.
This is an optional service. All parties to the Due Process complaint will be contacted, and both parties must consent to facilitation before a facilitator is assigned.